Sunday 15 August 2010

KNIT CAMP...part 1

I now have something to blog about..hooray! Last night I returned home from the UK's very first Knit Camp. Now for those of you who don't know let me fill you in a little...

Knitters came from all over the world to this week long event held in Stirling University's very picturesque campus (it really was a stunning location even to a native Scot). Classes were run teaching various knitting techniques and were led by some of the biggest names in international knitting circles.
However, not long before the actual event things came across somewhat chaotic. Many tutors flying in from the U.S learnt their work permits were not yet in place causing more than a few problems. Things eventually fell into place..tutors arrived and some classes rearranged. Despite a backlash on Ravelry (worldwide knitting forum) everyone on camp seemed really happy and pleased to be there.

As I was only staying for two nights I opted to stay in the Stirling Management Centre (a little more comfortable than the halls of residence so I'm told by fellow campers). At breakfast I was lucky enough to have the company of many of the tutors who all seemed to know each other but were very welcoming to this wee Scottish lady (who barely knows her combination knitting from her continental!). Norah Gaughan and Annie Modesitt shared their discovery of 'haggis dogs' which I'm glad to say I've never tasted (a variation on hot dogs I presume?).

On my first afternoon I attended Jared Flood's Koolhaas hat class (a pattern which I have owned for a while yet could not make head nor tail of!). Jared is an excellent teacher and very patient. He took the time to show the stitch technique to each one of us individually (it was a class of 12) and repeated the process if we didn't get it the first time (guilty). I was very nervous as I'm not a very ambitious knitter but I was there to learn and glad to report that I left with new skills.



I can now cable without a cable needle and follow a simple chart. I am also confident I can now complete the pattern...result!


Part 2...lovely people and pretty purchases

3 comments:

Liz's Knitting said...

Hi Lou

Sounds like you had a really nice time and learnt loads!!!

Stirling campus is beautiful and the halls of res- been in worse!! I went to an Open Uni summer school there.

Andy Baker said...

I saw that and I KNEW he was going to teach you how to do that without a cable needle! I did a Koolhaas with a cable needle and by the end, I thought I would scream. Wow. I'm sorry I missed that. Next time for sure!

Linda said...

You have won a pattern from my blog draw! Please email me leafgreenhandknit (at) googlemail (dot) com
Linda
x